Our favourite time of year is nearly here! Nextfest 2014 takes over the 124St corridor June 5 – 15 in a raucous celebration of the multidisciplines. Catch the Keys returns for our 7th year, and is proud to curate the infamous Nextfest Nite Clubs and NuMusic!
Our submission calls are out! Get at us with your wild and crazy ideas and works in progress.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
NEXTFEST NITE CLUBS 2014
The Nextfest Nite Clubs are a series of multidisciplinary performance parties showcasing emerging artists in all disciplines – theatre, dance, film, performance art, visual art, installation and anything else! Performances range from 30 seconds to full evening installations and roving performances. For the purpose of this festival, “emerging” refers to artists under the age of 30 who are not professionally represented.
Each Nite Club has a theme that is open to interpretation. We are looking for high-energy interdisciplinary collaborations, non-traditional experimental performance and performer created work encouraged. All performers must be at least 18 years old.
The themes for 2014 are:
Friday, June 6: The 6th Annual Rise Up!
For the politically inclined artist, Rise Up is your revolution – it’s the what-if, the could-be, the should-be, the will-be. Your revolution – it is politics and semantics, artistics and music. What fires you up, pisses you off, makes you passionate about the state of the world?
Friday, June 13: The Fright Nite Club
A little blood? Some gore, maybe? A goodnight ghost story to keep your imagination up long after the lights have cut out? Feel that old witch Fear walk her bony fingers the length of your spine, force your hairs to stand on end. Tell us what scares you most. Please note: please mention in your submission if you plan to use fake blood. We are big fans of fake blood, but prefer you use the Catch the Keys secret recipe only.
Saturday, June 14: The 7th Annual infamous Smut Cabaret
Risqué, sexy, lewd, vulgar… fetishes, desires, sexuality. Bring out your naughty side, taunt and tease, make your audience squirm.
Please submit the following requirements to Nextfest NiteClub Curator, Beth Dart, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An explanation of your piece;
- Technical requirements, if known;
- Contact information and website links;
- Any additional support material; and
- Please note if you are interested in collaborating with an artist from another discipline.
CALL for SUBMISSIONS
NUMUSIC AT NEXTFEST 2014
NuMusic at Nextfest proudly presents brave new works by emerging local composers, musicians, sound artists, and anyone interested in exploring the world of new music. For the sake of this festival, “emerging” refers to artists under the age of 30 who are not professionally represented.
NuMusic at Nextfest is now accepting submissions for the 2014 Nextfest Emerging Arts Festival. NuMusic 2014 will focus on the theme Dynamic vs Static, and will incorporate both time-based performances and sound installations.
Deadline to submit is Wednesday, April 16, 2014. We are interested in works at various stages of development within the following categories:
Composed works, including:
- works for solo instruments
- chamber music (ensemble may be provided by musician, OR pending submission requests, a house ensemble may be formed)
- acousmatic (stereo only)
- improvisation, for example: acoustic, mixed or fully electronic performances; live coding; sound walk; etc.
- Experimental take on various genres, for example: jazz, pop, electronic music, rock
Please note: dynamic works must not exceed ten minutes in duration
Gallery based sound art or site-speciﬁc works including:
- Sound Art Installation
- Interactive Sound Installation
- Site-Speciﬁc Works
Please note: space is limited
Have a piece that doesn’t fit in the categories above? Let us know!
- brief written explanation of the work
- overview of the requirements of the work (particularly for installation works and/or technically heavy performance pieces)
- artist(s) biography (maximum 150 words)
- scores and/or recordings where applicable
- any applicable auxiliary materials such as youtube/vimeo/soundcloud etc. links
- contact information
Submissions may be sent electronically to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard copies may be mailed to:
NuMusic at Nextfest Curator c/or The Roxy Theatre
10708 124 Street
Edmonton AB T5M 0H1
Please contact Megan at email@example.com
or Raimundo at firstname.lastname@example.org